Your Whitsundays experience starts here...
Create new family memories in the Whitsundays, in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef!
Finding it hard to pick that perfect family holiday for everyone? Here in the Whitsundays, we thrive in family fun! Your kids will be wide-eyed with wonder – with fun places to stay and a huge range of things to do. It’s not just about the kids though… imagine being on a tropical island resort (complete with a kids club) where the adults can relax and unwind indulging in cocktails with a view like no other.
Check out our Top 11 fun family activities that will keep your family busy and entertained, while at the same time relaxed and happy.
1. Take a day trip like no other to Australia’s number 1 beach Whitehaven Beach! Along the journey experience the thrills of the fast day boats – Ocean Rafting, Thunder Cat or Whitsunday Bullet. You will also get to explore our underwater world finding turtles, our Maori wrasse friends George & Elvis and of course Nemo. Your final destination Whitehaven Beach & Hill Inlet will leave you with the BEST family holiday pictures.
2. Visit the Animal Park at BIG4 Adventure Whitsunday Resort and help feed the resident chickens, goats, ducks, piglets, lambs and calves every day! There will be a brand new waterpark, the BIGGEST in Australia to be finished by June 2017.
3. Go croc spotting in the wild on the Proserpine River and learn more about the Goorganga wetlands with Whitsunday Crocodile Safari.
4. Enjoy breakfast with the koalas at WILD LIFE Hamilton Island Park Café. Bacon, eggs and hash browns taste much better when eaten up close and personal to these furry Aussie friends!
5. Snorkel, swim and splash amidst thousands of colourful coral and fish at a day out on the Great Barrier Reef with Cruise Whitsundays.
6. Feel like sailing around 74 islands? Set out for an adventure like no other with your Eco Pirates helping the captain navigate the Whitsunday tropical waters on the timber tallship Derwent Hunter.
7. Explore beautiful Bowen’s free waterpark located adjacent to the Herbert Street intersection on Santa Barbara Parade, with a ‘zero depth’ play area and facilities for all ages. You’ll also find uncrowded beaches, whether you try stand up paddle boarding in the calm waters, snorkel straight off the beach or enjoy a game of footy! On the way home cool off at Cedar Creek Falls just 25 minutes from Airlie Beach.
8. Feel the rush of Formula 1 go-cart action in Hamilton Island’s Palm Valley. Take the wheel on the exhilarating outdoor track, reaching speeds of up to 45 kilometres per hour.
9. Encounter 6 different turtle species in the waterways all year round or watch the laying and hatching of their eggs in Bowen. Don’t forget to watch the playful whales, a common sight around the Whitsundays from June to October.
10. For the more adventurous water lovers, make your family holiday a sailing holiday. Skipper yourself on your own bareboat where each day you can pick your own island to explore. Not confident to crew yourself? You can choose from a large range of overnight crewed sailing trips.
11. Nothing says family holiday quite like camping on a remote tropical island. No need to bring your camping equipment Whitsunday Island Camping Connections will look after you, you can arrange all your food provisions with Whitsunday Provisioning. Be sure to hire a kayak or a stand up paddle board.