The Whitsunday Tourism Association was originally established in 1982 as the peak industry association responsible for destination promotion and development for the region. The Tourism Whitsundays Board consists of a maximum 11 directors -7 elected directors and up to 4 invited directors, representing Island Resorts, Accommodation, Marine, Youth and Tourism Transport sectors, Tourism & Events Queensland, Whitsunday Regional Council Mayor, Bowen Tourism & Business Chair, and selected invitees.
Tourism Whitsundays is an industry driven, membership based organisation. It is the lead agency recognised by Tourism and Events Queensland and the Whitsunday Regional Council to lead the promotion of the region as a tourism destination.
As well as destination marketing and visitor attraction, our role is to work alongside stakeholders towards growth in the industry overall to provide visitor information services, to advocate for tourism industry needs and infrastructure, to attract new tourism investment and lead the industry towards best practice in all areas of business operation and experience delivery. Some of these benefits include:
- co-ordinate tourism planning and activity in the Whitsunday Region
- market the Whitsunday Region as a preferred tourism destination
- market the Whitsunday Region as a business events destination
- to advocate on behalf of the region to Local, State and Federal Government and those individuals and bodies in which they have vested authority
- facilitate ongoing improvement of local industry standards of customer service, business skills and practices
- encourage residents in the Whitsunday region to appreciate the benefits of tourism in the region as a whole and to them as individuals
- raise funds via industry to promote the objectives of the organisation
- undertake any other initiatives to promote tourism in the Whitsunday region