There are a number of certification programs that accommodation providers and tour operators can undertake that ensure you they are a legitimate and proactive eco operator.
Australia’s Eco Certification program recognises tourism operators who provide genuine environmentally friendly tours, attraction and accommodation products.
Operators are assessed on their economic, environmental and social sustainability and ecotourism principles such as business ethics, responsible marketing, contribution to conservation and working with communities. There are three levels of accreditation available:
- Nature Tourism - Tourism in a natural area that leaves minimal impact on the environment.
- Ecotourism - Tourism in a natural area that offers interesting ways to learn about the environment with an operator that uses resources wisely, contributes to the conservation of the environment and helps local communities.
- Advanced Ecotourism - Australia's leading and most innovative ecotourism products, providing an opportunity to learn about the environment with an operator who is committed to achieving best practice when using resources wisely, contributing to the conservation of the environment and helping local communities.
Find out more about the ECO Certification program here.
The following certification types are available to local Whitsundays tourism businesses:
- Whitsunday Charter Boat Industry Association - The Whitsunday Charter Boat Industry Association issues a 'tick' logo to its members, who must satisfy a number of crew training and safety standards in order to qualify. Click here for more information.
- Whitsunday Bareboat Operators Association (WBOA) - Consists of Charter Yachts Australia, Queensland Yacht Charters, Cumberland Charter Yachts, Whitsunday Escape and Whitsunday Rent A Yacht. More Information can be found here.